Why'd You Buy That?
Thankfulness in 2020 and Money Memories
Today Dan, Drew, and Jessica are joined by Ilona from the podcast, Money Memories. In the first half of the episode, Dan, Drew, and Jessica talk about their Thanksgiving celebrations for 2020 and how thankfulness affects finances. In the second half of the episode, Dan and Drew talk with Ilona from The Bear and the Bull blog and the Money Memories podcast. They talk about everything from travel memories and Ilona’s earliest money memory to capitalism, marginalism, and racism in financial institutions.
Ilona has worked in finance on Wall Street and Silicon Valley. She received her bachelor’s degree from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, and MBA from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. Born in Havana, Cuba, she immigrated with her parents to the United States at the age of 5, and grew up in Louisville, KY. She is fluent in Spanish, Russian, and German, and as an avid world traveler – her current tally for countries visited stands at over 60.
If you would like to give us your input, have any comments, or questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Turkey versus Chicken
- Dan’s special Jell-O and Drew’s spinach madeline
- COVID Thanksgiving plans
- The effect of gratitude on people’s spending behaviors
- Having a sense of gratitude for your life
- Things to be thankful for in 2020
- Back to the basics
- We survived this very long year
- Being an introvert during the pandemic
- Different household dynamics
- Ilona and Money Memories
- The history behind The Bear and The Bull & Money Memories
- Travel and money
- Most memorable guest stories
- Ilona’s earliest money memory
- Educating and helping first generation in personal finance
- Capitalism and marginalism
- Systemic racism in lending practices
- Ilona’s favorites:
- Advice for personal finance
- Articles and series she has written for Forbes
- Money Memories, NPR, and Ilona’s white whale
- Ilona plays “Why’d You Buy It”
Website: The Bear and the Bull
Podcast: Money Memories
Money Memories Episode: “Demystifying the Unicorn” with BuBu
Brought to you by Drew Adams of Why'd You Buy That?